We have made a lot of progress over the last couple of weeks. Last week, our construction team built two new important components of the hull – a rudder skeg and a “keel box”. The rudder skeg balances the moment of the strut at the front of the vessel and protects the rudder. The “keel box” holds the strut in place and distributes the strong torsional and bending loads from the strut.
The rudder skeg before and after shaping.
Bonding the rudder skeg to the boat.
Early in the week we fibre glassed and sanded the box, in preparation for it to be inserted into the hull, which we completed at week’s end.
Fitting the “keel box” into the hull.
We are excited that the exterior of the hull is taking shape, and we will start laying out the interior structure with bulkheads and supports for components this week.
If you want to keep updated on our weekly progress, please follow us on our Instagram account!
We have concluded our recruitment process for 2018/2019, following the final round of interviews this past week. Out of our strong pool of applicants, we have welcomed 30 new team members. These new members will work in five sub teams: navigation, power electronics, hull construction, admin, and research. We are particularly excited by our new research division, who will be focusing on determining and pursuing research opportunities for our vessel.
This week, we are continuing construction. Over the summer, the team has been working hard to build the foundations of our transatlantic vessel. We are excited to continue construction with our new team members!
We have just released our August/September newsletter, with details on hull construction and a special mention to Teekay Vancouver for their generous support. If you’d like to keep learning more about our journey and stay updated on our progress, please subscribe to our bi-monthly newsletter here.
Since the beginning of August we have been busy building the main hull shape. (For more details on the design, see this post from yesterday). The photos below show the story of our 10 days of building. From now until September we will finalize the electronics design and acquire the funds we need to buy the rest of our components.
There haven’t been many updates on this website over the last few months. One of the reasons for that is that we have been busy finalizing the design of our Transatlantic vessel. In April we tested our prototype extensively on water. Building on these results, we decided to go with a rather unconventional design.
The extremely narrow hull (5 m by 25 cm) minimizes drag while supporting a large solar array (4 m by 1.5 m). This array tilts transversely to maximize power production. A submerged pod with the battery pack, motor and propeller carries half the boat’s weight and provides the stability needed for the large solar array. Additionally, the pod keeps the propeller under water at all times and provides the righting moment needed when the solar panel is tilted in strong winds.
To accomplish what no one has accomplished before we have to think differently. We believe that this craft can travel autonomously not only across the Atlantic, but also on longer voyages.
Check back tomorrow to see photos from our building weeks at the beginning of the month.
After a summer of remote planning and finalizing the design of our boat, we are finally back in Vancouver. Those of you who follow our Instagram account and newsletter may already know that we started construction last week and that we are making great progress.
Stay tuned for a description of our transatlantic vessel design.
Since our initial launch about a month ago, we have been busy testing the prototype. Through a sophisticated testing program, we have characterized relationships between velocity, drag and power consumption. We expect these results to scale well to our final craft.
To find the relationship between power consumption and speed, we measured the current drawn by the motor with a current sensor. Timing the boat over an interval of known length, we were able to relate the current to the speed of the boat.
Additionally, we need to know how drag force relates to velocity when designing our Trans-Atlantic vessel. To find this relationship, we used a block and tackle setup with calibrated weights to exert various constant known forces on the boat. By measuring the terminal velocity, we determined the generalized drag curve for the hull.
From theory, we expect both current draw and drag force to be proportional to velocity squared. As seen in the graph above, this behaviour was seen from the experimental data.
Looking forward, we will use these findings to decide on the parameters for our final craft concept. Stay tuned for updates on this design concept later this week!